|Kate (kate_nepveu) wrote,|
@ 2012-03-22 06:08 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||gender, race|
You know, I was going to make a post about how the intersection of the news lately (particularly Trayvon Martin's murder) and the bridge of a Decemberists song nearly had my crying in my car yesterday evening, but the point would just be what the subject line says, and this gives you more time to read the links.
- 'We Have No Choice': One Woman's Ordeal with Texas' New Sonogram Law (Texas Observer). [*]
- Racial Lens Used to Cull Curriculum in Arizona (NYT).
- The White Savior Industrial Complex by Teju Cole (The Atlantic).
- What Everyone Should Know About Trayvon Martin (1995-2012) (Think Progress).
- The Trayvon Martin Killing, Explained (Mother Jones).
- Untitled Elon James White post on racism's influence on perceptions of thuggishness. (Is there a way to link to Google+ posts with the comments collapsed?)
[*] Yes, I saw the doctor guest post over at Scalzi's. I actually found it more depressing than anything because of the comments, and not even the predictable derailing ones, the "for the first time I feel some hope!" remarks. Seriously? One anonymous doctor arguing for civil disobedience after one of these horrible laws has passed—the efficacy of which I have considerable doubts regarding—and suddenly everything's sunshine and roses? What-fucking-ever. (Especially given the entirely unjustified assumption by many commenters that the anonymous doctor in question was male. Yeah, we've never seen that pattern before.)