So I feel the need to put two disclaimers on this post: first, it contains medical unpleasantness that might be considered a bit gory, and second (for those contemplating their first delivery), it is absolutely not a typical chain of events.
The short version is that I had, not the worst of both worlds (since nothing irreparable happened), but the most: a C-section, with some complications, at about the furthest point possible in labor.
( the long version )
And so, in conclusion:
- Chad and I apparently have babies with big, hard heads;
- I have comically long contractions when in labor;
- I don't know if, after this, my doctor would let me attempt a vaginal birth again;
- But it shouldn't matter, because we were already planning on two and only two kids, and so when I told Chad, first thing when I saw him in the recovery room, "I love you very much and we're never doing this again," it was not actually a new decision prompted by the whole experience;
- Even though I meant it (and he agreed);
- Look, an adorable baby!